Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Travel Notes: Of Birds and Teeth

One of my favorite things about travelling is walking in an unfamiliar place. I think it is the best way to really get a feel for a place. The sights, sounds and smells just can't be experienced the same way from a car.

Today, I'm engaging in a ritual that I only get to enjoy twice a year. I have an appointment with my dentist.

Twice a year, I drive all the way out to Fountain City to get my teeth cleaned. In Knoxville with the generous number of dentists per square mile we have, driving 30 or 40 minutes just for a cleaning is a bit much, so I created a little ritual to make it worth my while.

I show up to get my teeth cleaned by my dental hygienist (who happens to be a dead ringer for Kristen Bell) shortly before lunch. My dentist's office happens to be located right on the edge of what most people call "the duck pond", though it is formally called "Fountain City Lake". If I have no cavities, or other issues, I schedule my next appointment, head outside and walk past my car. A single block of businesses separate the duck pond from the public library and Fountain City Park. After short stroll, I arrive at the Creamery Park Grille.

I have lunch and an ice cream to go. By the time I wander around the duck pond, dodge some hungry geese and arrive back at my car, my ice cream is gone and I'm relaxed, happy and ready to head back to work. You chose a good location for your office, Dr. Sterling.

Even if you don't need your teeth cleaned, it is a great place to take a walk, get some ice cream or let the kids blow off some energy in the park.

P.S. The birds bite.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bonus points for anyone who gets the P.S. reference.